Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Grandma Hunsaker



Grandma Isabell Hunsaker passed away on July 18, her 97th birthday. I was slightly apprehensive about driving all the way up to Star Valley and all the way back in one day with Bryce for the annual Hunsaker Family Reunion but I am so glad we went. Russ commented that it may be Grandma's last reunion and it was. Grandmas sons took her out to breakfast on her birthday to celebrate and then took her back to the nursing home where she has lived for several years. Grandma had a cup of hot chocolate and then peacefully passed away. It is always sad when someone passes away but I think for Grandma it couldn't have been more perfect. She got to see all her children, many grandchildren, and great grandchildren just weeks before at the family reunion and she also got to enjoy a birthday breakfast with her sons. She has been without her husband for many years and I can't imagine what a sweet reunion they had. What a great birthday she must have had returning to her husband and all her family that went before. I have been a part of the Hunsaker family for about 5 years and have only visited with her during the family reunions we attend every year but I am so happy I had the opportunity to know her for the time I did. Although I did not know her very well I have heard stories from Kirk, my father-in-law, about what a great mother she was. One story sticks in my mind... Kirk got a tractor or car stuck and grandma helped him get it taken care of before grandpa got home so he wouldn't get in trouble. I can only imagine all the wonderful things she accomplished in her life but I know that one day I will get to sit with her and get to know her so much better but until then we can hear about her life through Kirk. I am so grateful I took a picture of her holding Bryce at the reunion. Even though he won't remember her, he will always have a picture of them together to treasure. I was unable to attend the funeral because I was in New Mexico visiting my family but here are some pictures that Russ took and one I stole from Nicole's blog.

Kirk's family that was able to attend the funeral
this is the barn that sits on near Grandma's house
 2010
 2011
2012

No comments:

Post a Comment