Sunday my grandpa, Leonard Jensen, was released after serving for 34 as the Chama, New Mexico Branch President. The Stake President said that as far as he knows that was the longest any branch president has served in New Mexico, Colorado, and Arizona. He has always been a great example to his family and those in the small town he lives in. Although the members of the LDS church in Chama are few he preformed countless weddings and presided over numerous funerals for people of all faiths. If you ask anyone in Chama they could tell you that my papa is a man of faith. People passing through town in need of help are often referred to my grandpa because everyone knows that he is willing to help anyone. I am so grateful to have such a wonderful man to look up to in my life.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My brother Tanner is a great writer and here is what he wrote about Papa:
Today Leonard Jensen was released as Branch President after serving in this position for 34 years. I spoke to my grandpa today and he laughingly said “well it was just time for a change and today I was able to walk out and not even worry about locking the door.”
For years I have watched my grandpa dedicate all that he is to the members and four walls that made up this small branch, countless hours mowing lawns, shoveling and plowing snow, calling and visiting branch members and others, traveling hundreds of miles to church meetings often before the sun
rose or long after it set. I have yet to hear a single complaint; in fact I can honestly say that is was experiences such as these that brought him the most joy.
I know that my grandpa cherished the time he spent as branch president and I know I speak for more then just myself when I say that we cherished this time as well. Thanks papa for “practicing what you preach” and being a man that lives his beliefs, it is people like you that make a difference, it is people like you that set an example, it is people like you that save people like me. I know you will probably never fully recognize the difference you have made but trust me when I say that myself and others are better because of you.
My grandpa also mentioned that after leaving today without the worry of locking up that he stopped, turned and looked back at that glass door that he had locked so many times before............. Papa, I
know that 34 years of cherished experiences and memories were looking right back at you through that same glass door.
We all love you Papa and are genuinely thankful for everything you do and have done.
What a neat Grandpa you have Misty. You should be very proud.
ReplyDelete